Since it’s pumpkin season, here is one of my favorite healthy fall desserts and I’ve updated it for 2021. I like to use bananas as a base for my skinny ice creams because they lend a really creamy texture without the dairy proteins. It is delicious, easy and the perfect all-natural frozen treat for yourself or your kids.
Skinny Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream:
GF, Dairy-Free, Vegan | Makes 5 Servings
- 3 frozen ripe bananas. Make sure they’re ripe because the green ones are overpowering and will ruin the ice cream. I notice some banana-based ice cream recipes call for green bananas because of a lower sugar content and higher resistant starch, but to me they aren’t pleasing to eat.
- 3/4 cup pure pumpkin puree. Make sure it’s just pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling. I like Trader Joe’s Organic pumpkin .
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cashew milk. You can sub unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 2 full droppers of liquid stevia or 2 Tbs of organic maple syrup.
- 1 tsp of natural vanilla
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and then freeze for 24 hours.
Fun Tip: For even more pumpkin pie taste, crumble up a few gluten free graham crackers into the ice cream mixture before you freeze or roll the ice cream in them once frozen to make snowballs (demonstrated here).
Fit Tips: Just like you are not supposed to eat directly out of bags or boxes, don’t eat directly out of the freezer container. Portion out into single sized servings when you freeze. Also, turn this ice cream into a healing powerhouse by adding a scoop of vanilla protein powder (pea protein or whey protein are both nice choices) and eat post workout for muscle repair. Note: if you add the protein powder increase the amount of cashew milk by 1/2 cup and note that the ice cream won’t be as creamy.
Hope you are enjoying fall! Guys please let me know what you think! I love hearing feedback. xx CC