I recently returned from a trip to Barcelona and wanted to share some packing suggestions with you. This was my third time to “Barca” and each time I go, I fall more in love with the vibrant, clean city combining old-world European elegance with the Moderisme architecture of Gaudi and artists like Miro. Add in the Catalonian cuisine and some of the best shopping in Europe and you have the makings for one of the greatest experiences of your life. Because there is so much to do and see, you may feel overwhelmed on what to pack. Below is a checklist and suggestions to make packing as breezy as a Barcelona beach evening.
What to Pack for a Week in Barcelona
Keep in mind that Barcelona has an endless treasure trove of brand name shops, interesting boutiques and kitsch (if you’re a fan) where you can pick up essentials and beyond. So if you forget to pack something it just gives you an extra special excuse to shop! My favorite street for fashion is Passeig de Gràcia. There are also great antique vendors on the weekends along Paseo Colon. Note: The Ramblas is the most famous street in Barcelona, but to me it’s so commercial and a huge tourist trap. Watch your belongings especially close when walking Las Ramblas. If you have a backpack wear it in front of you and make sure your handbag is a zippered crossbody facing forward.
Each person’s trip to Barcelona (or any metropolitan European city) is unique based on four factors: length of stay, place of stay, reason for going and season. This particular list below is for women going to Barcelona in the Summer for 7-10 days, staying at a centrally located hotel and looking to explore. What to Pack for a Week in Barcelona.
Your Barcelona Chic List
- 4 day-dresses. These are effortless. Just zip and go. Barcelona loves color and pattern so if you have floral or flirty dresses and you’re normally a neutral girl then let your alter ego have fun with pattern.
- 5-6 tanks and tees
- 2 bright blouses
- 2 pairs of nice shorts (are there such a thing?)
- 2 pairs of denim in gray, black or white
- 1 wrap sweater or denim jacket: These are to stay warm on the plane and to stash in your bag while site-seeing.
- 1 midi skirt: Always appropriate, these go with sandals, flats and heels.
- 1 hat
- 1 cross-body bag: A cross-body style will help prevent pickpocketing. When wearing make sure the zipper is toward you.
- 2 pairs of tennis shoes: The only emblem tennis shoes that women tend to rock with dresses are Adidas Superstars, Stan Smith or throwback Gazelles. Make sure you wear them for at least 2 weeks so they are broken in and don’t give you blisters. The city is a runner’s paradise in the morning so make sure you pack your workout shoes as well.
- 1 pair of stylish flats
- 1 pair of sophisticated heels or wedges
- 2 pairs of sandals: Again, ladylike and comfortable.
- bathing suit: The beaches of Barcelona are amazing!
- seamless neutral panties & bras
- socks (for walking and working out)
- 2 pairs of sunglasses
- Workout attire
- toiletries and makeup: toothbrush, facial soap, lotion, deodorant, etc.
- small packs of tissue
- hand sanitizer and hand wipes
- change purse: Change is used more often in Barcelona than the US so have a little place for all of it.
- lint roller
- ear plugs
- perfume atomizer
- phone and laptop chargers
- Universal adapter plug: I only used an adapter (not a converter) while there and this was for my laptop and iphone.
- facial spray: Evian or rosewater to hydrate on the plane.
- eye mask
- mini first aid kit
- nail file
- vitamins: go heavy on the Vitamin C
- bobby pins & hair elastics: for the perfect messy bun
- A glycolic mask: This is to apply the night you arrive and will get rid of the dead skin cells caused by the dry air on the plane. Follow up with facial oil.
- Barcelona guide book: Even though you can now access anything on your phone, often you will not be able to get decent wifi unless you are at your hotel so hard copies are still recommended. But it is cool that Barcelona does offer city-wide (yet spotty) wifi and you can get great wifi on the On-and-Off buses.
A Word About Packing Your Carry-on
When packing, put all of your valuable items in your carry-on. Duh! you say. But I don’t just mean your jewelry and coat. This also includes any high-end labels or anything that might not be monetarily expensive but is of high sentimental value to you personally. You also want to make sure you have at least two days worth of outfits, your phone and laptop chargers, makeup, pills and toiletries in your carry-on. Basically anything you feel will be difficult to replace if the airline loses your luggage and/or you feel you won’t be able to function without you should pack with you.
Also look for my upcoming post on What to Pack for a Week in the Costa Brava. Happy Travels. xx CC
I just got back from a month in Barcelona and your list is spot on. I followed a few other posts (not yours) and I was unhappy with how I packed!!
I will save this as a reminder for my next summer travel to Barca!
Thanks so much. This made my day. Wishing you a great weekend. Chelsea