Star Spangled White Sangria for 4th of July – Nothing gets people in the mood to celebrate like sangria. Sweet, refreshing and alcohol-masking, it is a delishly deceiving party in a pitcher. The most authentic sangrias are simple with minimal ingredients. The times I’ve had sangria in Spain it was garnished with only a few orange slices. But sometimes more fruit is festive, especially with the red, white and blue palette of strawberries, blueberries, star-shaped watermelon and honey crisp apples.
Our family is doing a lot of traveling for the rest of the summer, but no matter where we are in the world, we will celebrate our nation and its independence. So if you want to take something festive to your 4th of July BBQ, consider this star spangled white sangria.
Star Spangled White Sangria for 4th of July
- 1.5 bottles Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio (if you want a drier sangria)
- 1 cup Titos Vodka
- 3 cans Fresca or Sprite
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries quartered
- 1 cup watermelon cut into stars using a cookie cutter
- 2-3 honey crisp apples peeled, sliced and cut into stars using a cookie cutter
- Mini Star Cookie Cutter (I got mine off of Amazon and link in blog)
- Clean and cut all fruit.
- Add strawberries first, then watermelon, apples and finally blueberries to your pitcher.
- Pour in the wine and vodka, stir. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours
- Add the Fresca or Sprite right before serving and stir
- Blueberries make the sangria cloudy, so feel free to reduce to 1/4 cup (they are there for color) and make sure to add them as the final fruit.
- If you are averse to Fresca or Sprite (I understand they are artificial), substitute with a flavored La Croix sparkling water and then add 3 Tbs of organic white Sugar in the Raw.
I always like to be transparent so please know that I avoid sugar like the plague. This is high in sugar, so should be enjoyed as a dessert or a “once in a while splurge.” Maybe offset the rest of your meal with clean protein and low carb load veggies. I believe everything in moderation and life is sweeter with sangria once in a while.
Really feelin’ the red, white and blue? Try my Red, White and Blueberry Cheesecake Dip.
I am so proud to be an American and honored to celebrate the 4th with my family. Here’s a toast to hope, peace and prosperity. xx CC