For the last 2 1/2 months my husband Geoff has religiously been following the Keto diet. I’m proud of his discipline and progress. The extent of his cheating has been having a single bite of risotto when we hosted a work dinner at one of the best Italian restaurants in Charlotte. He’s dropped a lot of weight and his attitude toward low carb/low sugar eating has gone from “a TORTUOUS DIET I’m forced to endure” to a positive, long term LIFSTYLE focusing more on high quality fats, proteins and greens. And a huge bonus is that the meals are delicious, satisfying and whole.
If you are unfamiliar with this way of eating, it is high fat, moderate protein and low carb. Doing this promotes the formation of ketones by causing the body to use fat (rather than carbohydrate) as its principal energy source. As you deplete your body’s fat stores you lose weight.
Easy Keto Recipes Using TRADER JOE’S EVERYTHING BAGEL SEASONING
I’ve been eating low-glycemic for years and although I’m not as Keto-dedicated as Geoff, I have gotten good at making tasty Keto-friendly meals and desserts for him so the lifestyle is as easy as possible to maintain.
Since I’ve started cooking this way, I use TJs Everything Bagel Seasoning on everything but my face (note: if it came in a cream I would slather it on). It adds a savory goodness to whatever you’re preparing. Plus it’s aesthetically pleasing with its sesame seeds, pepper, sea salt and crispy onions. It’s basically crack if you are a garlic lover.
I use it on everything from seafood to veggies to the majority of the Keto-friendly faux-breads I try to perfect. I thought when we started this ‘high fat to lose fat” journey that we would run out of meals, but the rotation is pretty extensive and the seasoning makes it even better. Here are a few of the simple and delicious things I’ve prepared using the Trader Joe’s Everything Bagel Seasoning.
Keto Cheese Cracker Rounds (Makes 10 rounds)
These delicious crackers are so simple to make, calm a craving for something crunchy and can be used for dipping.
Ingredients: 3/4 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese, 3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese, 2 teaspoons dried basil, 1 Tbs of Trader Joe’s Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper (Note you cannot use aluminum foil. It will not work. Parchment paper is a pantry staple in Keto-cooking).
- Mix the cheeses and spices together in a medium-sized bowl and scoop 1 heaping Tbs of the mixture onto the parchment paper 1 inch apart. Then pat it slightly so it bakes evenly into a round.
- Bake for 8 minutes until the edges turn golden brown.
Note: This recipe was adapted from the cookbook Simply Keto by Suzanne Ryan. I cannot say enough good things about this book. It is a useful tool if you are going to give this lifestyle a serious try. The recipes are quick, clean and wonderful, plus her life story is inspirational. I know it might seem a waste to purchase a cookbook when there are recipes online, but Ryan’s is an exception and you will use it for reference often.
Roasted Asparagus With balsamic and goat cheese (serves 4)
This recipe is extra healthy and a quick, impressive side.
Ingredients: Asparagus bunch, 2 Tbs TJ seasoning, 2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil, 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar (for extra zing and a health kick try apple cider vinegar), handful of goat cheese.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
- Clean and cut the bottoms off the asparagus at an angle. Drizzle with olive oil and then rotate the stalks to coat.
- Drizzle with balsamic and sprinkle on Trader Joe’s Everything Bagel Seasoning.
- Roast in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove and top with goat cheese crumbles. Bake for another couple minutes (until goat cheese becomes extra soft).
Everything Bagel Sautéed Salmon (serves 6)
When I eat this I can’t stop. Someone has to physically remove the salmon (or me) from the table. “Good fats for healthy skin baby.”
Ingredients: 4 thick wild Atlantic salmon fillets (skin removed), 1 Tbs avocado oil, 1 Tbs Trader Joe’s Soyaki sauce (this has sugar in it so 1 Tbs will be used for all 4 fillets. This is just enough to help with a crispy brown crust when sautéed, but will be less than 1 gram of sugar per fillet). 1 1/2 Tbs Trader Joe’s Everything Bagel Seasoning, 1 tsp of garlic powder, sea salt and pepper.
- Add avocado oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper to a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add salmon fillets and drizzle with the Soyaki sauce and Bagel Seasoning.
- Sauté for 7 minutes then flip and sauté for another 5 minutes. The goal is to have the seasoning add a crispy, carb-free coating, but be careful it doesn’t burn. Flip once more and serve.
I can’t really call this a recipe. It’s just a great use of garnish for sliced avocado and may add a little edge to your avocado toast. Drizzled with olive oil, topped with Everything Bagel Seasoning and served along side select cheeses, olives and proteins, it is a welcome crowd pleaser.
If you decide to give the magic seasoning a go, please tell me what you think. I’m sure the next shiny ingredient will come along and I’ll put the TJ’s bottle down, but until then I’m going to shake away. xx CC