The holidays are a time to reminisce about childhood. Some of my fondest memories are of my family lounging around the table during Christmas vacation mornings. My sisters and I in flannel PJs and enjoying warm, cinnamon-laced french toast. The smell of cooked bacon mixed with the sweet smells of vanilla and homemade strawberry topping made me feel so cozy and contented. Time stood still.
There is still a way to enjoy French toast even if you are living a Gluten Free lifestyle or trying to exercise self control during the holidays. This recipe is gluten AND dairy free (if you don’t use Truwhip topping), lower sugar, quite non-processed, low calorie and surprise! an excellent substitution for the classic favorite. And an added bonus is that it is super quick.
Skinny Gluten Free French Toast
Serving Size: Two Slices | Makes 4 Servings | Gluten Free | Dairy Free
- 8 Slices Udi’s Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread (I’ve tried a few GF bread brands and Udi’s is by far my favorite)
- 1/3 cup organic liquid egg whites
- 1/4 cup UNSWEETENED vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Ground cinnamon
- Olive oil spray
- 1-2 Tbs of TruWhip (optional). I use this brand because it doesn’t contain high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated oils).
For Strawberry Topping
- 1 1/4 cup frozen sliced strawberries
- 2 tsp Monk Fruit or Stevia (I prefer the In The Raw brand)
- Pour egg whites and almond milk into separate bowls. Add a generous amount of cinnamon to your almond milk.
- Cover both sides of each slice of bread with the milk. (I add more cinnamon to the almond milk mixture after dipping each slice of bread).
- Then dip both sides of the bread into the egg whites.
- Spray your pan with olive oil and place the treated bread slices into the pan.
- At the same time, add your frozen strawberries into a small sauce pan. Add your monk fruit or stevia sweetener.
- Cook the strawberry topping on medium heat stirring often. It will turn a liquid consistency after a few minutes. I am impatient so I like to break up the strawberry chunks with a fork.
- While you are stirring your strawberry mixture, cook your french toast on medium high heat. Note, since you are not using a heavy coat of olive oil, the bread will brown quickly so make sure you flip after a couple minutes.
- Let your strawberry mixture cool for a few minutes to thicken. Plate up your Skinny French Toast with strawberry topping and 1-2 Tbs of Truwhip. Delish. Done.
Notes* GF bread will fall apart easier then wheat based bread when cooking so use a spatula to flip and be gentle:).
Wishing you a healthy holiday season! xx CC