There is no better treat than ice cream or frozen yogurt during the summer months. But these treats often contain tons of sugar and artificial ingredients. Here is an alternative that is free of artificial ingredients, dairy free, gluten free, paleo and tastes like a Mounds bar! And it is so simple! I like to keep a bowl of this in my freezer covered with aluminum foil. If I’m having a chocolate craving I just let it thaw for a few minutes and then scoop some out in a Ramekin. Although bananas are the base of the recipe, once all of the other good things are added the banana taste isn’t strong.
Skinny Mounds Bar Ice Cream | Serves 2 | GF, DF, Paleo
- 2 ripe bananas sliced
- 1/4 cup of UNSWEETENED chocolate or vanilla coconut milk (near the almond milk in the dairy section of the grocery store)
- 1 Tbs of high quality unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Ghirardelli)
- 8-10 drops of liquid stevia (available at Whole Food, Trader Joes, Healthy Home Market)
- 1 Tbs of dried, organic unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 of a Trader Joe’s 100 Calorie Dark Chocolate bars (OPTIONAL because it’s no longer Paleo once added)
Slice bananas, place in sandwich bags and freeze for a few hours. Add bananas to blender along with your cocoa powder, coconut milk, stevia and coconut. Blend until smooth. I like to put mine in the freezer after blending so it gets a little more solid.
Notes and Suggestions: The amount of coconut milk will vary so just make sure you add enough so it blends smoothly. Try subbing unsweetened cashew or almond milk in place of the coconut milk. Are you more of an Almond Joy kind of gal? Add some sliced almonds and voila! If you are working on getting more good fat into your diet add 1 Tbs of raw coconut oil.
Wishing everyone a Happy Mothers Day weekend. Hope you get pampered and loved on because you deserve it. CC